Cleaning a keyboard is the easiest way to ensure those pesky, stuck keys never return. However, you don’t need to fully disassemble it to do so. First, unplug the keyboard or turn your laptop off before beginning. If you’re using a standalone keyboard, flip it upside down and gently shake it. This will remove any excess debris between the keys, and it could fix your problem altogether.
If your keys are still stuck, follow these simple steps:
- Wipe off the keyboard, removing any liquids from the top of the keys.
- Apply a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to a microfiber cloth.
- Clean the keyboard with it, eliminating dried-on liquids.
- Dry the keyboard with a clean cloth.
- Use an alcohol-dipped cotton swab to clean between the keys.
- Wait for the alcohol to dry and test to see if it fixed the problem.
Assuming you haven’t cleaned your keyboard in a while, this should eliminate any issue with a stuck key. If it doesn’t, there’s no need to worry, as there is another surefire way to solve the problem, although it will take a bit more work.